Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Personal Choices Part 2: Why I am giving up alcohol, for good.

This is Part 2 of my “Personal Choices” series. Please read Part 1: The Problem with Prescriptions for Behavior, before reading this article for a discussion about how these choices are personal and not meant to imply you or anyone else should make the same choices.

I have decided to never drink alcohol again and I present the following reasoning to share my thought process:

First, I want to distinguish what I mean by giving up alcohol. I mean that I will not drink any ethanol containing beverage as an elective activity, which I think captures most instances of the use of alcohol. However, I am not talking about some draconian rule that rules out alcohol use for highly unusual reasons. If I need to amputate a limb in the wilderness and the only analgesic around happens to be a bottle of vodka, I will drink it to prevent excessive pain in an emergency. Also, if alcohol is used as a flavoring in food, this rule does not apply as the ethanol will likely be cooked off completely due to its low boiling point.

What about drinking in moderation versus full abstinence? This is an easy point to make. Many of the problems with alcohol I describe below are made even worse the more you drink. However, my opinion, now, is alcohol is completely unnecessary and I personally don't have any special reasons why I shouldn't just eliminate it entirely.

So why have I made this decision?

1) You can literally do everything you can do when you drink, while you are sober

Some of these beliefs sound stupidly self-evident, but they make deep sense to me. Alcohol does not grant you any special powers. It simply causes your brain and body to have skewed functioning for a time. Its easy for me to think sobriety involves full functioning of the body and mind. Whereas, alcohol is not a vitamin and there is no genetic reason why we need it in our diet. Thus, alcohol actually reduces our capabilities.

If I wanted to have the same “powers” that alcohol temporarily grants me, all the time, I'd take a baseball bat or ice pick to my brain and liver to get similar effects. Its an illusion that alcohol is beneficial for socializing with others, for instance. Objectively, our ability to socialize is best when our brain can tap into its full abilities to observe and interact with others. If you had a super computer that could hold conversations, would you pour syrup onto its motherboards or remove half of its RAM to help it improve?

I will not allow alcohol use to undermine my self-confidence and self-trust for this reason. I know I can have a good time without debilitating myself and reducing my self-awareness to get the job done. Alcohol is not an experience enhancer, it is an experience limiter.

2) Alcohol is literally a poison and puts the “toxic” in intoxicant.

Alcohol is a well-documented poison. It is known to cause systemic malfunction and damage to the body's tissues. Yes, our body, in the short term, can usually handle and heal from most of these insults, but why beat up the body like this, especially if it is unnecessary to live a full life? The liver, for example, is one of the body's most important filters and is crucial to metabolic functioning. Alcohol destroys the liver over time.

It seems odd to me that we would enjoy the secondary psychological consequences of this poisoning rather than be concerned more about alcohol's primary effects on the body. The toxic effects are so obvious to me in the classic hangover. Your body gets very ill if you drink a lot with nausea, fatigue, and memory loss common symptoms of this straight-up poisoning.

For men, the effects extend to the healthy functioning of our hormonal system. By literally poisoning the testicles, alcohol causes significant drops in testosterone levels a few hours after drinking, which do not fully recover until 36 hours later. Moreover, if you are a bodybuilder, alcohol is shown to prevent muscle growth.

Alcohol is not even that good at would we often use it for. Caffeine, as a stimulant, is actually better for improving the sort of cognitive function that may actually improve social experiences. If you want to relax, marijuana is much better at calming you down. Further, proper diet, sleep, and exercise is even more effective than any drug for achieving a higher quality of life- no really, it is that simple.

3) You lose access to your higher functions when you drink

This point ties into numbers 1) and 2), but I thought I'd mention it because it ties more into who you are rather than what physical experiences to you have and want.

Its been a fundamental belief for me, for a long time, that there is a higher/ideal self that we should seek to discover and bring out during the course of our lives. This is a very personal belief and I take it not on fact, but more on faith. Believing I am on the path for unlocking greater potential for myself is fundamental to how I hope to live my life.

Unfortunately, alcohol does not seem to help with this task. By modifying the functioning of my mind, it causes an artificial imbalance in the way I order myself. Lower levels of brain functioning are emphasized as the higher functions like those of the prefrontal cortex are suppressed. Yes, who we are is a combination of these higher and lower levels, so in one sense, operating from more base levels is still being you. However, I'd argue that the natural arrangement of these functions to each other is just as important, and alcohol disturbs this natural balance.

I think we are meant, in a natural sense, to have strong inhibitions. In fact, our inhibitions stem from the more complex, higher functioning of the brain- arguably the portion that makes us more human than a generic animal. As we know alcohol messes with these natural inhibitions and blurs boundaries in our mind. Is this inherently wrong? Probably not. But, does this disorder put us in the best state of mind and ability to healthily cope with things? I don't think so, either.

4) Its easy to name instances of where alcohol leads to self harm or harm towards others

This reason is probably the most “moralistic” for why I won't drink. Due to many of the reasons already discussed, alcohol is often involved when one makes choices that diminish ourselves and our potential, and impact others negatively. Alcohol use is highly correlated, in a disturbing way, with depression, suicide, sexual violence, and aggressive behavior.

On an even darker level, it is often the cause of fractured families and relationships which affect whole groups of people. Alcohol is involved with so many harms, both self-inflicted and interpersonal. Its hard enough as it is to be your best self, do we need the complications and distortions that alcohol causes mucking things up?

5) I straight up do not like the taste of alcohol

You may laugh at this one, but this is probably the reason why giving up alcohol will be easy. I, personally, have never liked its taste. It is way too bitter and overwhelming a flavor in my mind and its telling how much sugar, or other drinks, I usually need to cover up its taste. Why ingest something that is not even enjoyable to do so. As I've discussed, its not like alcohol is bringing any other magic benefits that might justify its use.

I know many people claim to enjoy alcohol's flavor...but, this has never been my experience.

6) Alcohol is a big money and time vacuum

Another fairly straight forward one. Alcohol is an expensive habit...why not save that money for something else. Moreover, all that time spent pregaming or being hungover could be used for other things. I don't know, this one seems like something a drunk person would understand, (“a no brainer” lol).

7) Alcohol is not who I am

As a child did you ever dream of spending your time getting drunk? Can you really say that alcohol use is part of who you are on a deep level, rather than an unnecessary hobby, at best, or self-poisioning/destruction at worst?

The person you are when you are drunk or drinking- are you proud of who that is? Do you think that person takes good care of you and others and makes prudent choices? Do you think that sacrifice of your true potential is worth it for a moment of “fun” or care(less)freeness?

I think I can do without and do just fine. We've all made mistakes and many of us have made mistakes under the influence of alcohol. We are always responsible for our behavior, even when drunk, so why set yourself up for having to take responsibility for your drunken actions when it is already hard enough to figure out how to be your best self and to make good choices when sober?

I am personally pledging to remove this source of unnecessary uncertainty and carelessness in my life. Life is too short already and I'd rather live it up according to my own standards, not according to the standard of enjoyment alcohol companies hope you accept. I'll have a heck of a time, because I will practice trusting myself to be fun and have fun without the need for alcohol to be involved.

If I am the only one who thinks like this than that is completely fine. I have no belief that this prohibition need apply to others. It is just part of who I wish to be going forward, and I think that person will be even better off with this decision. I choose to make this investment in myself, and I have faith that it will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment