Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Personal Choices Part 1: The Problem with Prescriptions for Behavior

So many prescriptions for behavior come across as universalizable statements: “I will never eat meat again” or “I will never have sex before I am married” or “I will never drink again” can easily come across as “You should also never do these things” or “Everyone should never do these things.”

I begin this series, “Personal Choices,” with this discussion because it is important that my ethical choices are presented here as a self-reflection, not as a declaration I am intending to say is right for anyone else.

The reasons I will give for my choices are personal, made from years of my own experience and expanding self-knowledge. I share them not to tell you what to do, but, like the rest of this blog, to show how I think.

Part of my intention with this series is to push back against the stereotypical way of sharing ethical opinions. Our well-intentioned religious and moral values too often come across as necessary for everyone. They are too often thrust upon us by external figures to put us into our place or to control actions. In my mind, any system of values that demands adherence betrays a severe insecurity. A strong, organic ethics should be able to tolerate dissension. Better yet, it should happily embrace it!

I believe one should beware an intolerance of others violating your own standards. You will find that an intolerance of others says more about you and your values than the other person, no matter how bad you think other's crimes might be.

I personally dislike objective morality because it fundamentally involves extrinsic motivations. Like so many things, values really only become consistent in my mind, if you make them your own or intrinsic. How much more meaningful is it to be told not to do something under threat of punishment versus not doing something because you have justified for yourself why it is wrong? I obviously believe internal justification is the true source of meaning for the individual.

I also believe every person has the right to dictate their own actions and how they order their own minds and bodies without the threat of violence/punishment. That said, if such actions result in a harm to others- even a harm that they did not recognize or do not see in the present- they must take full responsibility for their own actions. So many people have such an insecurity of their own value that they cannot bear to blamed for something they do not accept they did.

I think it shows someone of a high moral character to apologize for what they did by accident, negligence, or in sheer ignorant blindness. Its easy to apologize for things we agree we did wrong, but it takes a distinguishing humility, respect for others, and empathy to apologize for that we did not intend.

This distinction underlies the importance of principles like social justice. Yes, society has shaped the way we act and behave, allowing us to participate in social violences, but we cannot blame such forces alone in our own wrong doing. Somewhere along the line, we choose to participate in behaviors that reinforced standards of power and were careless in our thoughts and behaviors that set others and ourselves up for failure- even if we did not realize it at the time.

Returning to the general idea of Part 1, being told you will go to hell or are a terrible person for having sex or drinking alcohol is an external violence. The sad part, though, is these may be great ideas for an individual who is told them based on their own individual life story and unique personality. The problem is not the moral value in itself, it is that the moral value is coerced onto the person rather than presented for the person to accept or reject on their own.

I share my thoughts on abstaining from certain behaviors as an alternative way of sharing standards for behavior without intending my own choices to apply to anyone else. If I was the only one who had these values, it should not make a difference to anyone else, only, I hope, that my impact on the world is improved.

I present the following ideas in this series for you to accept or reject, in part or in whole. 

These are some of the questions I am asking. What questions are you asking?

No comments:

Post a Comment